Originally shared by Pete Panozzo
The RAF Museum chose to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the service by dismantling and closing the museum dedicated to its finest hour, the Battle of Britain Museum. Every cloud has a silver lining, however, and during May 2016 the aircraft were in a part dismantled state, allowing for some interesting photos.
Delivered in September 1940 and operated with 2/JG51 based at Wissant near Calais. Flew as ‘Black 12’, the markings it wears today. Shot down on 27th November 1940 by a 66sqn Spitfire and forced landed next to the flight office on RAF Manston Airfield, with very little damage sustained. The aircraft was moved to RAF Hucknall for repair in December 1940 and on 25th February 1941 it flew again, now in RAF camouflage and markings, with the serial ‘DG200’. The rebuilt included parts of other shot down Bf109s, including ‘1418’ and ‘6313’. In March 1942 it joined 1426 Enemy Aircraft Flight, based Duxford, the unit moving to RAF Collyweston in April 1943. By September 1943 newer aircraft were available and ‘DG200’ was stored along with Fiat CR42 ‘BT474’ for future museum use. Stored at various locations including RAF Biggin Hill. It also appeared statically at various exhibitions and displays. Restored as Black 12 at St Athan in 1970, it finally went on permanent display in 1978 when the Battle of Britain Hall opened and remained there until 2016. RAF Museum, Hendon, London, UK. 28th May 2016
Date 28 May 2016, 09:38
Source Messerschmitt Bf109E-4/B ‘4101 / Black 12’ (DG200)
Author Alan Wilson from Stilton, Peterborough, Cambs, UK